I received free almond samples from the Almond Board of California mentioned in this post. I was not compensated for my time.
Guess what day it is? It’s a day to crunch on some almonds, it’s National Almond Day. I’ve got some almond life hacks for you and your family. What is a life hack? Don’t worry, I have you covered:
Almonds sit on my countertop each and everyday because they are a satisfying snack, filled with protein (6 grams/ounce), fiber (4 grams/ounce), good-for-you fats and important vitamins and minerals.
Almonds come in lots of forms: whole, slivered, flour and almond nut butter. That’s what I was able to experiment with.
Don’t walk past the nuts in the supermarket thinking they are too high in fat. Almonds deserve a place in your
heart cart because of their heart-healthy benefits. Just stick to a portion everyday:
My 10 favorite almond life hacks?
1. Sprinkle slivered almonds over the top of chicken wild rice soup.
2. Use almond flour for Silver Dollar Pancakes (they are gluten-free).
3. Add whole almonds to your favorite trail mix.
4. Swirl almond nut butter into oatmeal to pump up the protein and add a burst of flavor.
5. Add slivered almonds to your favorite chicken salad sandwich recipe.
6. Use coarsely ground almonds to top your favorite green bean casserole or hot dish as we say in Minnesota.
7. Try almond flour in your favorite cookie recipe for a chewier texture .
8. Almond butter can be used to make satay sauce.
9. Sub in almond crumbs (just process almonds in your food processor) for bread crumbs when breading chicken or fish.
10. Take a tin of almonds with you during the day.
Would you like to win your own almond life hack pack?
I am partnering with the Almond Board of California to give one away. You will receive a jar of almond butter, a one pound bag of whole almonds, a one pound bag of slivered almonds and almond flour!
To enter, leave a comment below and be sure to subscribe to the comments to find out if you have won! The winner will be announced Friday, February 21, 2014.