I have been on a Greek yogurt frenzy – and my kids have been loving it. There are so many uses for Greek yogurt! I particularily love Chobani yogurt.
Five reasons I love it for my kids?
- Packed with protein – Greek yogurt has double the protein of regular yogurt which plays in important role in keeping you full for a longer period of time. Kids get hungry mid-morning if they just eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. So try a carton in the morning with your breakfast along with fresh or frozen fruit and some yummy granola or stir some flavored Greek yogurt into your oatmeal for a naturally flavored treat with less sugar and sodium than pre-packaged flavored oatmeal.
- Probiotics – Greek yogurt is a source of good bacteria or “probiotics” that help keep your digestive tract healthy and balanced. In fact, did you know that around 70% of your immunity lies within your digestive tract? Keep your family’s digestive tract healthy to fight off all those germs with Greek yogurt.
- Calcium – A key nutrient for strong bones, I am always on the lookout for ways to get more calcium into my kids. And a 6 oz. serving of Greek yogurt generally provides 20% or (just add a zero to the nutrition fact panel to get the milligrams) 200 milligrams of calcium. Kids age 1 to 3 years need 700 milligrams/day. Kids age 4 to 8 years need 1000 milligrams/day and 9 to 18 years need 1300 milligrams per day.
- Vitamin D – Helps your body absorb that calcium and a necessary nutrient for kids. The Chobani Champions – Greek yogurt for kids – provides 20% of the daily value.
- Natural – I love foods that are naturally colored and flavored with real ingredients.
Here are my top five family-friendly favorites:
- Fruit Dip – just mix equal parts of your favorite flavor of Greek yogurt and light whipped topping. My favorites are strawberry, strawberry banana, passionfruit and blood orange!
- Veggie Dip – using the Otria Greek yogurt dip, I mash an avocado and add it right into the dip, my kids loved it! A simple, yet healthier form of ranch!
- Cupcake Frosting – this one is a mind-blowing treat! Take your plain, non-fat Greek yogurt out of the refrigerator for an hour to let come to room temperature. Meanwhile, melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and let cool. Mix the two together slowly and then add a few dollups of light whipped topping.
- Simple swap in corn chowder in place of heavy cream – a great way to lower the fat by reducing the heavy cream by half and then adding the other half as plain, non-fat Greek yogurt. You have then reduced the calories by 320!
- Perfect Pancakes- check out this great recipe at http://www.chobanikitchen.com/recipes/detail/perfect-pancakes it is one of my favorites!
What are your favorite ways to use Greek yogurt?