You know the winter you thought you made it through without getting sick?
Or the winter you have had a major project going on – one that takes all your free moments – and leaves you little time to be creative in the kitchen?
Or the schedule that leaves you running around dinner time?
There’s nothing wrong with turning your family favorite recipes into busy day favorites in order to get your family around the table. Because gathering around the table together is essential as much as possible.
And with tax season upon us – (ouch) – I’m in the mood to save some money by using what I have in the pantry to create a meal.
That’s what I’ve done here with the super easy chicken noodle soup recipe, adapted from the America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook. But I’ve modified it to make it quicker. And more nourishing.
- Using rotisserie chicken
- Using chicken broth instead of making my own (although I have made my own with rotisserie chicken – do NOT throw out those chicken bones!)
- Used olive oil instead of vegetable oil (for heart and brain health and anti-inflammation)
- Doubled the vegetables
- Using whole grain egg noodles
It goes with The Recipe ReDux theme this month:
“It’s Income Tax Season, so our brains could use some easy arithmetic; as in seven-ingredient-or-less recipes. Show us the healthy, no-brainer dish you fix for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Think beyond smoothies or drinks, please.”
In case you need further convincing to make this recipe:
- Busy Day Chicken Noodle Soup comes together in less than 30 minutes.
- Busy Day Chicken Noodle Soup has only 7 ingredients (not counting the salt/pepper).
- Busy Day Chicken Noodle Soup is filled with nourishing vegetables – onions, carrots and celery – that are filled with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Busy Day Chicken Noodle Soup is loved by all. (Serve it with this chicken salad and crackers or grilled cheese).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground thyme
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 3 cups dry whole grain egg noodles
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in thyme, broth and chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in noodles, allowing to simmer an additional 7 to 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.