It’s day 5 of smoothie week and it’s time to step out of our comfort zone. It’s time to try a green smoothie. My kids were a little leery of this one when it appeared on the table at first, but when my son asked for seconds, I knew it was a winner.
Source: Jen Haugen, RD, LD
Makes 40 ounces (5 -8 ounce glasses)
What you need:
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 2 cups frozen mango or pineapple chunks
- 2-1/2 cups apple or pineapple juice
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pits removed
- 12 ounces vanilla Greek yogurt
All it takes:
- Add spinach leaves, frozen mango, juice, bananas, avocados and yogurt to a blender. Blend for one minute or until ingredients liquified.
Making a green smoothie allows for the opportunity to add in all those vitamins and minerals from green vegetables that my kids are sometimes afraid to eat. I have also tried this smoothie with kale. If you want to mask the green color, add frozen fruit with more color, like strawberries or blueberries.
Which one was your favorite?