There’s a million things I need to do every morning. And to make it a day I won’t regret, I’ve come to believe that life is about the habits we create for ourselves. Good or bad, we really do function on habits. And we need to create good ones, because not only do they help us, but they help those around us start the day off well too. Good habits are nourishing! I recently changed my habit of hitting the snooze button twice each morning to now instead when my alarm goes off, I get up and head to the bathroom and start getting ready. Guess what this habit means? Our mornings are smoother. While I thought my kids were to blame for us running late each morning, it’s actually me who had been running late because I couldn’t get up and get going for the day. Another must do habit I have is making sure I have enough protein in my morning breakfast. Like how much protein? Hold on – it might be more than you think. Experts (like real nutrition scientists) recommend 25-30 grams before your noon meal.
One glass of milk has 8 grams. One ounce of cheese has 8 grams. One 8 ounce carton of yogurt has 8 grams. (Bonus points for true Greek yogurt with twice that amount). See how easy that is?
With enough protein at breakfast, you will be able to focus on the things you want to accomplish instead of feeling hungry mid-morning and hitting that slump (which sends us to the cabinet or drawer for munchies!). Enough protein in the morning also contributes to a healthier weight and healthier bones.
Whether in a glass, cup or bowl, or mixed into a simple recipe, milk is an ideal way to get high-quality protein (high quality protein is one that provides all the essential amino acids our bodies can’t make), along with eight other nutrients you need, like calcium, vitamin D and potassium.
I’m leaving you with some quick and easy ways to boost protein…be sure to check out the recipe links!
- Power Up Muffin Cups plus a glass of milk
- Yogurt and Banana Spice Muffins plus glass of milk (super easy muffins!)
- Whipped Raspberry Overnight Oats plus glass of milk
- Smoothies (here’s four options including a green smoothie!)
- Hot chocolate made with milk
- Latte or Cappuccino made with milk
- Glass of chocolate milk
- Greek yogurt parfait
- Chocolate Berry Smoothie made with Greek yogurt + hard-boiled egg
- Egg and Mozzarella Breakfast Pizza plus glass of milk
- PB&J on a whole-grain waffle, add banana slices, pair with a glass of milk
- ½ cup cottage cheese in clear bowl, topped with fruit (each 1/2 cup serving of cottage cheese has 14 grams protein.)
All of these recipes are so tasty, I hope you give them a try! I would love to hear how you milk your morning – leave me a note in the comments!
And for additional recipes and to learn more about the power or dairy protein, visit MidwestDairy.com.