When it comes to opening up the pantry doors and figuring out what’s for dinner, moms take different approaches. You might be a foodie or a convenience-loving mom, maybe one that is unbiased and knowledgeable or you might be overly time stressed. It’s time to figure it out, take the following quiz on behalf of The Canned Food Alliance:
1. Which of the following best describes how you feel about food?
1. Food is Comfort – I always eat when I am stressed or upset. D
2. Food is Joy – I love everything about food from cooking it to eating it. A
3. Food is Challenging – My busy schedule makes it hard for me to find time to cook. B
4. Food is Nourishment – I always stick to healthy foods (even when I’m stressed or busy). C
2. When planning a meal which of the following best describes what’s most important to you?
1. Nutritious and delicious meals are worth the time and effort. A
2. It’s all about finding wholesome foods that help me manage my health and weight. C
3. If it’s not an easy family pleaser, I’m not interested. B D
3. Are you more interested in learning a new recipe from a cookbook that focuses on quick and easy meals or one that focuses on healthy and nutritious meals?
1. The quicker, the better! D
2. I love an easy meal, but that’s not all I want in a new recipe. B
3. I cook healthy, well balanced meals whenever I can find time. A
4. Healthy Meals are always worth the work! C
4. When grocery shopping, how often do you look for deals?
1. Sometimes – I’m more concerned with getting what I want. C
2. Often – Who wouldn’t keep an eye out for deals? B, D
3. Always – The store circular … don’t leave home without it! A
5. How much do you enjoy food-related activities such as meal planning, grocery shopping and meal preparation?
1. I know they’re necessary, but I could do without them. B
2. I enjoy them … sometimes. C, D
3. Love them! A
6. How often to you look for new recipes?
1. I’m always keeping a eye out for something new. A, C
2. I try to change it up once in a while. D
3. Does finding a new take-out restaurant count? B
7. How well do you know your nutrition facts?
1. I’m an expert – I always take a peek at food labels. A, C
2. I’m a novice – I just know the basics. B, D
Okay, tally the letters that matched your answers and look below the picture to find out what your mom mealtime style is:
Mostly A’s: Happy, Healthy, Foodie Mom
A “sunny side up” mom who feels at home in the kitchen and enjoys having other family members lend a hand. You like cooking healthy meals with new and different flavors and aren’t concerned with how long they take to make. You keep an eye on prices and labels and often choose food with healthy and weight control matters in mind.
Mostly B’s: Working, Convenience-Driven Mom
On-the-go, working moms want to make healthy meals fast. Convenient foods are a priority as they fit into your busy lifestyle. You tend to use a lot of time-saving, pre-packaged cooked, frozen and canned foods. You want to serve healthy family meals but might find it difficult to do this regularly.
Mostly C’s: Healthy, Unbiased Mom
You keep nutrition front and center when choosing foods in the grocery story. Price, taste, convenience and advertising considerations are on the bottom of the list. You value product information and enjoy creating flavorful, distinctive dishes. Making meals quickly isn’t a top priority because you see the value in making nutritious dinners. You don’t, however, necessarily enjoy cooking and often get little help from your family.
Mostly D’s: Time-Conscious, Stressed Mom
When days get stressful, you turn to what’s quick and easy. Even though you are busy, you do value family meals. You often rely on convenience foods and would love to learn how to make dinners with quick prep and short cooking times.
Which one are you? Let me know in the comments and what your biggest challenge is as a mom in the kitchen.
And check out these time-saving tips and recipes from The Canned Food Alliance: http://www.mealtime.org/content/reci-tip-section/