More than 50 recipes from registered dietitians to help you bring your family back to the table for family dinner after the hustle and bustle of summer vacation. August is the time many families get “back to routine”. Check out all the recipes at the bottom of the post and find a new favorite! Let’s all gather back at the table!
A few months ago something really cool happened. My daughter wanted to enter a recipe contest. A girl after my own heart! But this wasn’t just any recipe contest, it was a cooking video + recipe contest. Now, I KNOW I could have never done something like that when I was her age…as I was the girl who hid behind her parents when anyone came to the door hoping I wouldn’t have to talk. But since she has spent some time with me doing a few television segments, I guess it was natural for her to want to give it a try. And I couldn’t wait to help her!
She knew the recipe needed to be healthy, balanced and include Uncle Ben’s Rice in some way. And it had to be totally family-friendly. So she started flipping through torn-out pages of magazines and so many cookbooks…and her idea was born. And the video shoot began. With my son as the producer, we began the filming process. He totally rocked it.
What was her recipe that was a winner from the first dinner?
Taco Rice Bowls.
They were and are simply amazing. And a sure way to get your family back to the table. Did I mention Emma even demonstrated the recipe for her entire fourth grade a few months ago? And every kid, seriously every kid, loved them.
While she didn’t win the contest, we definitely think her recipe is a winner for family dinner.
Check out her 3 minute video she entered, thanks to all of you who voted for her!
- 6 flour tortillas
- 1 pound 90/10 hamburger
- 1 package Uncle Ben's Brown Rice
- 1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Light ranch dressing, optional
- Using a muffin tin, fold tortillas into a circular shape and place in muffin tin to hold. Repeat with remaining tortillas and bake 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions in microwave.
- Brown beef in skillet until thoroughly cooked. Add taco seasoning and water according to package directions.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Spoon rice mixture into tortilla bowls and top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and ranch, if desired.
Family meals = happiness.
Hope you enjoy and share a family meal around your table soon!