I have always wanted to have my kids cook with me across America and learn geography at the same time, and this challenge I created is going to allow me to do just that! And I wanted to make this challenge come to life a little more by creating this really cool and inexpensive map. Inspired by a page in my family’s favorite magazine, Family Fun Magazine, I set out on a mission.
I made this map as a way to track our travels across the United States of MyPlates adventure.
All you need:
- 1 yard chalkboard fabric (only 4.99/yard at my local JoAnn Fabrics store, look for coupons for even more of a discount)
- One medium point white paint pen (permanent)
- A projector and computer
- Internet image of the United States
- Internet image of MyPlate
- Chalk of various colors
1. Hang the fabric on the wall using painter’s tape (it won’t take the paint off your wall)
2. Project the image from your computer onto the wall
3. Using the permanent paint pen, begin to trace the outline of all the states, I also traced the MyPlate image across the top
Join my family on the United States of MyPlates journey, have your kids join you in the kitchen and create these recent recipes.
Kids can color their way across the U.S.A. with chalk on this map!
Join me each week for a new recipe. Subscribe to make sure you don’t miss one!